Church Camp: Patriotism

Since today is the 4th of July and I have been telling you all about church camp this week I figured I would talk about one of the other experiences Gess had at camp: raising the flag.  I don't know if schools have kids do that anymore but Gess certainly has not had the opportunity to learn about how one should properly raise and lower the flag.

Each morning we gathered around the flag pole.  One of the cabins would be responsible for unfolding them and raising them in the morning and another cabin took them down each evening.  When they are raising or lowering the flag you are to stand at attention and be very still and quiet.  That is a time we are to show respect.  Once the flags were raised we said our pledges.  First we said our pledge to the American flag.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Then we said our pledge to the Christian flag.



I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and to the Saviour for whose kingdom it stands; One brotherhood, uniting all Christians in service and in love.

Then we said our pledge to the Bible.



I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's Holy Word, I will make it a lamp to my feet and a light to my path and will hide its words in my heart that I may not sin against God.

Then we had a Scripture reading and prayer.  

We got our turn to help on the last day.  We took the flags down instead  of raising them.  When you did that you just stood at attention and remained silent.  Once the flags were folded there was a Scripture reading and prayer.  Gess helped me lower the flags and said our closing prayer. The other girls helped fold them and read the Scripture passage.

Many of the children did not know how to fold the flag.  I think next year I will recommend that they show a video to give some instruction on the first day.  Here are some easy to follow instructions on how to properly fold a flag.



Today as I celebrate the birth of our nation I am grateful for the country I live in, the Savior whom I serve and the Holy Bible through which God speaks to us.  I pray our country will once again honor God and return to those principles that were once held so dear.  The way it looks lately I am not so sure that it will.  Regardless of the course our country takes, I know what we intend to do.
If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Printable Family Chore Chart

Learning the 10 Commandments

Explaining Baptism to Kids