Fact Or Opinion

One of the reasons I like K-5 Learning so much is that it adds in some areas of study that we haven't addressed in school yet. For instance we have not studied poetry and they had a section on that. Another thing I realized is that we had not studied about the differences between facts and opinions and that is an important life skill you don't want to miss!

In the K5 Learning lesson they read you a short biography and have you sort out which statements are facts and which are opinions. I was glad to see that Gess picked it up rather quickly.






Now that they have introduced the concept, I try to work this in during every day situations, like this afternoon when we were cutting a fresh pineapple. I said, "Fresh pineapple is the best thing in the world!" I immediately realized, oh now it's lesson time. I then asked Gess, "Was that a fact or an opinion?" She answered "opinion" and got it right! Then I made other statements and asked her about them as well. "Pineapple is a fruit." Fact. "Your brother is a man." Fact. "Your brother is nice." Opinion!

When you have a child with special needs there are just some concepts like this that may not get on their own but once you teach it to them, it sticks. So whenever you eat a delicious slice of fresh pineapple or a piece of grilled squash ask your child if they like it and then ask, "Is that a fact?" Gess will be sure to tell you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Printable Family Chore Chart

Learning the 10 Commandments

Explaining Baptism to Kids